A raised be garden make any gardening task easier. You can fill your beds with your own soil that is primed to grow plants in. A basic raised bed garden can be built in the matter of a few hours and quick trip to the hardware store. I suggest using redwood or cedar for your sides because they will resist rot and add beauty to your garden.
HOW TO BUILD A RAISED BED GARDEN
- To Prepare the site get rid of the turf and weeds.
- Outline the bed dimensions on the ground with a chalk line or string.
- Dig with vertical strokes along the outline, just deep enough to bury about half of your first course of lumber.
- Put down a layer of weed-suppressing landscape fabric that extend to the outer edge of the wood frame.
- Build each of your walls separately.
- Fasten the walls together and put them into place.
- Install your cap railing that will run around the outside and tie everything together.
- Use galvanized pipe straps to mount 1 inch PVC pipe inside the bed walls. Cut 1/2 inch flexible PVC tubing twice as long as the beds width. Bend it, mount it and clip a cover in place.
- A simple framework of hoops and lightweight cover can extend your growing season in cool areas, conserve moisture in dry areas and protect plants from birds or insects.
- Install your irrigation system and then backfill with topsoil.